Reporting directly to the VP of Business & Corporate Development, the Senior Manager of Business Development Analysis and Alliance Management at Pyxis will work closely with the Business Development and R&D functions to perform business development landscape analysis and manage alliances. This includes performing competitive intelligence analysis around the company’s current programs, technology platforms and future prospects. It also includes seeking, developing, and helping execute alliances and other vehicles that position the company strategically, while building the company’s scientific knowledgebase and capabilities. These efforts will serve multiple goals: attract equity and non-dilutive financing, forge externally-validating alliances, and diversify the business model beyond a select few programs. This will , enable Pyxis to establish itself as a company deriving value from its proprietary pipeline, its underlying technology platforms and target catalogs, and its collaboration models collectively serving as the engine for continued growth.
The Senior Manager, Business Development Analysis and Alliance Management will assist in identifying, assessing, and executing complex, creative collaborations with a variety of potential partners including biopharma companies, foundations, research institutes, government agencies, etc. These collaborations will take a variety of forms and may include both buy- and sell-side transactions, as well as joint ventures. The successful candidate must be able to understand these opportunities from a strategic perspective as well as help bring them to fruition through contract negotiations, deal execution, and project integration and management. This individual will work in partnership with the VP of Business & Corporate Development and other functions.
Other responsibilities of the Senior Manager, Business Development Analysis and Alliance Management will include:
- Build, track, and maintain business development funnel of opportunities
- Optimize the success of the pipeline by helping to create and communicate the vision, strategy, company capabilities, and key initiatives to both internal and external stakeholders;
- Assist in positioning Pyxis assets and the overall corporate strategy by collaborating with the CSO, Business Development team, R&D team, and executive team to bring together market insights with the organically derived scientific strategies;
- Assist in identifying prospective partners/deal opportunities by monitoring the competitive landscape, particularly in the immuno-oncology and ADC spaces, and leveraging these insights;
- Screen assets, mechanisms, therapeutic areas and companies for transaction and alliance opportunities and participating in the due diligence activities for both buy- and sell-side transactions;
- Create compelling strategic and commercial justifications of recommended deals including detailed financial models and competitive analyses;
- Partner closely with the Business & Corporate Development team on fundraising activities and assessing how strategic transactions could impact funding strategies;
- Maintain organizational alignment with the corporate strategy by providing cross-functional support and oversight to existing program and team activities, ensuring clarity around inflection and decision points;
- Manage existing alliances by ensuring healthy, transparent, and solution-oriented interactions with key partners;
- Program management of alliance-associated programs and projects
- Become a trusted colleague within the company; helping to establish and promote an inclusive and positive culture, collaborating across disciplines, mentoring junior colleagues, etc.
In summary, given the breadth and uniqueness of Pyxis’s technology, Business Development will be a critical growth driver for the company and will generate numerous opportunities. The Senior Manager of Business & Corporate Development will employ creative, strategic, and tactical acumen to assist in identifying, nurturing, and capturing these opportunities.
From an educational perspective, the desired candidate will ideally possess an advanced degree(s) or equivalency to an MS, Ph.D., M.D., and/or M.B.A. from a well-respected institution.
Education, while an important index of achievement, orientation, and intellectual capacity, will not constitute the primary variable in this decision process. Personal characteristics, common sense, work ethic and demonstrated accomplishment in business and alliance management will serve as key components in the evaluation of candidates.
At a professional level, Pyxis is seeking an individual with three to five years of industry experience. This individual preferably brings a wealth of knowledge and credibility within the immuno-oncology and or ADC areas and is familiar with the competitive landscape. That said, generalists who bring a track record of achievement within strategy and or business development or corporate development functions in a company, venture capital firm or consulting firm will also be considered.
The ideal candidate will possess experience in strategy, program/alliance management, and/or deal execution. As such, the individual must demonstrate creativity and flexibility in thinking. The ability to work collaboratively with a highly competent scientific team and management team while building awareness of the company in the external marketplace is essential.
On a personal level, the Senior Manager of Business Development Analysis and Alliance Management must be a highly articulate and fluid communicator in both individual and group settings. The position requires heightened intelligence, mature business judgment, an elevated work ethic, personal warmth, and rich imagination.
Other desired traits in the Senior Manager of Business Development Analysis and Alliance Management for Pyxis include:
- Ambition, initiative, and enthusiasm
- Self-confidence and the ability to comfortably present opinions/ideas and influence as needed
- Personal maturity
- Rigorous analytical and organizational capabilities
- The highest professional and ethical standards; and,
- A natural and comfortable affect