Pyxis is seeking a talented and motivated Laboratory Operations Manager to join our team. Under the direction of the Facilities Manager, you will be responsible for supervising and coordinating all lab activities and lab workers. The successful candidate will work closely with, and support, the Director of Discovery Research in managing overall lab operations. This includes equipment planning and maintenance, space allocation, training of lab members, and ensuring lab members have everything needed for their research. The position will require strong collaboration with internal and external teams, including procurement, facilities, and vendors. In addition, the individual will work closely with senior staff to support projects and collaborations.
- Manage Lab Operations team and interface with the Finance, IT, and Facilities teams
- Partner with Procurement team for capital equipment orders to ensure compatibility, budget, and space requirements are met & coordinate delivery of large items as well as to negotiate discounts for bulk orders
- Serve as main point of contact for all lab-related vendors
- Maintain and optimize processes within the lab to increase efficiency and effectiveness including management of biologics inventory, lab consumables, and chemicals
- Manage lab equipment including service contracts, preventative maintenance, calibration scheduling, SOPs, and regular cleaning of incubators, biosafety cabinets, water baths
- Oversee lab safety and regulatory compliance, including tracking of biologics, chemicals, and hazardous materials, and enforcing PPE policy and lab safety rules
- Coordinate annual laboratory permits and license renewals, and laboratory operations deliveries/shipments inside and out of labs including liquid nitrogen and waste removal
- Manage shipping for domestic and international shipments of lab materials, including the preparation of material for shipment
- Establish lab procedures, create and manage lab-related documentation, and organize processes such as annual laboratory cleanouts and micropipette calibrations
- Collaborate regularly with scientists to identify and address any workflow bottlenecks, inefficiencies, or opportunities for process improvement, and logistical or administrative issues in the lab
- Anticipate, troubleshoot, and resolve problems associated with work within the laboratory setting, including occasional off-hours response to laboratory emergencies
- Coordinate the design and build-out of laboratory space at a new location and oversee laboratory relocation from the current space
- Order, receive, and distribute general lab supplies and track stock level
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) or equivalent in life science or related discipline
- 5 years of experience in a life sciences field required
- Previous team leader, supervisory, or management experience
- A high level of initiative, good judgment, and the ability to work with little supervision.
- Clear and concise written and spoken communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving capabilities and confidence to make clear decisions
- Project management skills and the ability to multitask on a regular basis
- Flexible, able to respond to changes in routine and attention to detail
- Experience with third party providers including environmental solutions, waste management, safety, compliance etc.
To apply, please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org